Pages

Monday, October 26, 2015

Beat Viruses With Essential Oils

(This is not paid advertising. All opinions on all products are my own)
My one year old, Phina, was quite sick the last two weeks. She was coughing - mostly in the night - and severely congested. She snored like her Grandpa and was a major mouth-breather, even when elevated. I tend to turn to essential oils when it comes to this type of thing, especially when they're this little (Phina is 1 and a half and a healthy 28 pounds). I will admit that I have not depended on them alone, though. 

After years of experience with viruses - *ahem* I do have four kids - I learned that you can want to be as natural as possible but when it comes down to it, you will use what works. For mine? Essential oils have worked and worked even better when used alongside Hyland's homeopathic remedies. 
I tried the Nighttime Tiny Cold Syrup, but my kids are one of those rare types that get hyper instead of tired when given anything with a "sleep aid" in it. The Complete Cold 'n Flu was what worked best for her. She would calm down, and her coughs would lessen within a few minutes of giving her the syrup. Sometimes, she'd have a coughing spell just after administering it but afterwards, she'd be fine for a few hours.

Back to the oils, though. I placed about 13 drops of tea tree oil and 16 or so drops of Oreganol in one of our cold mist humidifiers. (we use the Crane Drop Shape ultrasonic humidifier and I haven't had any issues with it yet when using essential oils. 

I also made a slave to rub onto Phina's chest (and on her feet once she was fast asleep because she hates the goopy feeling between her toes).

I blended:
5 drops of Thieves (I use Young Living oils)
4 drops of peppermint
4 drops of lavender
4 drops of lemon
1.5 tablespoons of Coconut Oil

Ok, so there may be some moms about to jump on me for using too much essential oils to the coconut oil ratio but I am telling you, this baby girl's congestion was bad and this blend helped. There was no sign of it burning or irritating her skin.

The virus hung out for about a week but these remedies did help to ease the frustration for baby and for mama. I could feel less guilty for going as natural as I could for her and confident that I didn't just attack her little body with chemicals and junk like that. Yes, I know it's possible to go even more natural but you know what, this is what helped my baby and if this is going to keep her from getting worse and feeling pooped all day, I'll continue doing it this way.

We all want what's best for our little boogers. And, mama-to-mama, I want what's best for your baby, too!

Maybe you have some advice for me! I'm learning every day, as we all are and am looking for even more natural remedies to help out the little ones.
If you  do have something, comment below! I look forward to hearing from you.

WoodlandMom

No comments:

Post a Comment