Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

How to Make a Basic Stock

Soup stock is the most basic level of fooding.
Does that make sense?
Fooding (according to me) - cooking, eating, enjoying anything related to food.

I love food. I don't always enjoy cooking it but when it's done, good Lordy do I love to eat it!
This method of stock-making is relatively quick once you get it down. 30 minutes or even less, depending on how hungry you are.

Chicken Stock

  • Whole chicken or cut up.
  • 5-6 Carrots
  • 2 stalks of celery
  • 2 or 3 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 a green pepper
  • 1 whole onion
  • Parsley
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  1. Peel onion and cut off ends. I usually stick a knife in the ends to help get the juices out more quickly.
  2. Place chicken in a stock pot and cover with cold water.
  3. Add all the vegetables.
  4. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, with the lid askew, so as to release the steam without evaporating too much water for at least 2 hours. *Note: the longer you simmer, the more concentrated the stock will be - and better tasting, in my opinion. I usually simmer for about 4 or 5 hours.*
  5. Occasionally skim off and throw away the foam that floats to the top of the stock.
  6. When the stock is done, strain out the veggies and add salt and pepper to taste.
Alas, I do not have the pictures to share as of now but as soon as I make my next stock, I'll add them to this post.

_woodland_mom

No comments:

Post a Comment